Saturday, March 9, 2013

At the Start

The Rules: (*note* I've had to change these from extreme to less extreme over the last few months. Hopefully, you don't mind. And if you do, I don't really care...)
  1) I have post every week. as often as I can. (when the muse is involved, I can't be too picky...)
2) Each post MUST include a recipe. Update: Each post MUST include a recipe or a food-related adventure.

That's pretty much it.  Now I just have to actually do it.

I'm starting with a vegetable soup recipe, since I think a storm of desserts and baked goods and bads may follow.

I modified this slightly from its original recipe here which called for green garlic. I couldn't find green garlic, so I used regular garlic (we had a surplus), spinach and leeks.

Leeks are funny. Their crusty woody ends peeped above our sorry little yogurt container compost bucket like squat, green legs. There were no houseplant murders involved in the making of this green soup. There was a great wilting of a large amount of spinach however, but it was for the best.


Many thanks to my mom who left behind homemade chicken stock as a result of making her signature chicken enchiladas for us during her recent visit.




Garlic, Leek and Spinach Soup

3 Tbsp. unsalted butter 
10 - 15 medium garlic cloves, chopped
2 cups chopped leeks,  white and light green parts only
1 qt. chicken or vegetable stock 
12 oz. baby spinach
 ½ Tsp. sea salt
Dash of cayenne pepper (optional) 
½  cup heavy cream or half and half


In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium high heat until melted and hot, but not brown. Add garlic and leeks and cook until tender and translucent.

Add stock and quickly bring to a boil. Add sea salt. Turn down the heat and allow the mixture to simmer for 15 minutes.

Remove the mixture from heat and add the spinach all at once. Do not stir. Wait five minutes, spinach should be nicely wilted atop the steaming liquid.

Blend in small batches in a blender. If you have an immersion blender, blend right in the pot. Add more salt and cayenne pepper or regular pepper to taste.

Slowly reheat and serve.
Stir in a dash of cream for richness if you like.

Serves 4.











2 comments:

  1. Even though it's sunny today and I went to an all-Spanish speaking immigration reform rally in a park here in Walla Walla, I still felt like soup today. I made carrot-ginger, as suggested on A Prairie Home Companion. I put in some fresh pumpkin, fresh parsley, onions, dried taragon, garlic, carrots and ginger. Thanks for the soup recipe here Mindy. Love the dash of cayenne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you're going to blog again! And I think you should post your mom's enchilada recipe too.

    ReplyDelete