Monday, March 18, 2013

All the Little Pieces

No contest: the 4th and 5th grade cast of Aladdin, Jr. is way more amazing than the granola recipe below. The parents and school community are too. Together we all made a lively musical production in only 35 hours or about 15 after-school rehearsals. It all culminated with a very busy tech week last week, and a weekend of performances. Directing an elementary school musical is not as easy as making the granola below, but I definitely want to do more of it. I love all the little pieces that have come together to make this show sing and dance. I am so thankful I had the opportunity to direct this production.

However, granola-making is a nice, calm activity to do in conjunction with directing a cast of forty-two, nine and ten year-olds. It's fulfilling to note I have more control while making it than I do while making children's theatre. Plus granola has that "all the little pieces" thing nailed. That's what makes this granola so good. It's the quality and combination of everything: oats, nuts, seeds, sweetener and oil that transform it into more than just a dry heap.

This recipe IS as easy as mix, spread, bake and cool (the 4th and 5th grade musical production was NOT). The olive oil/maple mixture bakes onto the oats, nuts and seeds to create a crunchy-sweet laquer-crackled surface. I suggest you try it. I'm glad it doesn't take 35 hours.







Olive Oil and Maple Granola
I adapted this very slightly from Orangette, who adapted from Nekisia Davis, Early Bird Foods, and Food 52. I have now made this granola about 7 times. I put some in jars and sent it around the country as Christmas presents a few months back.


Coconut chips, pictured here, are great flavor soaker-uppers. I hope you discover them because of this recipe. I forgot to add them to the most recent batch and we really missed them. You can cut back the brown sugar a little, but then the granola really wants the cherries. With the full amount in there, it wants the cherries less, at least to our taste. Also, take your own plastic bags and containers and buy your nuts, seeds, coconut chips, oats and maple syrup, etc. in bulk at your local Whole Foods, co-op or natural grocery store in the bulk section. All the little pieces will taste better, the earth will be grateful and so will your debit card.


3 cups rolled oats
1 cup raw hulled pumpkin seeds
1 cup raw hulled sunflower seeds
1 cup unsweetened coconut chips
1 ¼ cup raw pecans, whole or chopped
¼ cup to ½ cup sesame seeds
packed ½ cup light brown sugar
1 tsp. kosher salt
¾ cup maple syrup, preferably Grade B
½ cup olive oil
Dried cherries, optional


Preheat the oven to 300°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. (The stuff is really sticky, so don't skip this step.)

In a large bowl, combine the oats, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, coconut chips, pecans, sesame seeds, light brown sugar, and salt. Stir to mix. Add the olive oil and maple syrup, and stir until well combined. Spread evenly on the prepared sheet pan. It will be very thick. (Don't worry that's just how it is.) Bake, stirring every 15 minutes, until the granola is golden brown and toasted, about 45 minutes. (You can tell when its done by the smell. If it starts to smell scorched, take it out.)

Take the granola from the oven, and sprinkle with more salt to taste. Cool completely. Add dried cherries if you like.


Store in an airtight container. Will keep at room temperature for up to a month.
Enjoy with milk (my favorite), yogurt or straight out of the container (that's how Eric and I eat it most).

Makes about 7 cups.












PS: The parents and the kids surprised me with these onstage as I gave my post-show speech...


That community has my heart.

2 comments:

  1. Dried cherries! pumpkin seeds! yum
    Congratulations on the show--a good fit for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright Mindy, making this deliciousness for the third time! This time I've turn cane sugar back into brown sugar through the addition of molasses. Also I used this ginger syrup I found at the grocery as I'm not a huge maple syrup fan...black sesame, big coconut flakes, almonds... Love this recipe!! - Craig

    ReplyDelete