Sunday, June 2, 2013

Better to Wait

I am a strong, action-taking  Women who Run with the Wolves sort of woman, but when I'm around a louder person sometimes I revert to my Snow White self, apple firmly stuck in my throat pressing on my vocal chords. I can't speak a word.

I like that certain kitchen processes that require waiting. It's often better to wait. Even if that person made me boiling mad with their thoughtless comment, it'll probably be better if I don't send an enraged e-mail at 12:15 am. Instead, I'll grind some coffee, throw the grounds in the pickle brine jar with some water. Tomorrow I'll strain it and have coffee concentrate.

In the morning, I'll thwack the bag of ice from the freezer (we went camping last weekend) on the floor really hard to dislodge some ice. Which will give me even more of an anger outlet. I'll see how I feel then, around 10 am about Ms. Thoughtless Comment and decide if I still need to send an e-mail. I'll clink some ice into a tall, frosty glass and mix the concentrate with a little water. Maybe as I pour a little milk over the top, and as I stir it down into the cold, chocolate-brown coffee -- it'll turn golden. I will cool off as I take the first sip. I will soften into my seat as I bring the glass to my lips for a second... 




Cold-Brewed Iced Coffee 
From Dining & Wine in The New York Times
5 minutes then 12 hours' resting time

1/3 cup ground coffee (medium-coarse grind is best; I just use my regular grinder and grind till it's still slightly grainy)
Milk or Dairy substitute (optional)

In a jar, stir together coffee and 1 1/2 cups water. Cover and let rest at room temperature overnight or 12 hours.

Strain twice through a coffee filter, a fine-mesh sieve or a sieve lined with cheesecloth. Now you have coffee concentrate.

Put ice in a drinking vessel of your choice. This drink is especially nice in a clear, tall glass, but whatever you have will work even a campy mug.

To the glass add equal parts coffee concentrate and water, or to taste. Add milk or diary substitute if desired.

Serves 2.


No comments:

Post a Comment